|Burr's Ferry Bridge Historical Marker|
At the historical site of Burr's Ferry at the junction of Texas State Highway 63 and the Sabine River in Newton County. This was an important communications point between Texas and the United States during settlement of the area in the early 1800's. It was named for Dr. Timothy Burr (1790-1852), second cousin of U. S. Vice President Aaron Burr.
Dr. Burr came to the Sabine area in 1809, but moved his family down from Ohio in the 1820's. He practiced medicine from his plantation home on the Sabine. The Burr family operated the ferry in the 1840's and the town of Burr's Ferry grew up on east side of the river in Louisiana.
This crossing gave pioneers the ability to enter Texas with their livestock, household goods,and other property. It was one of four main points of entry on the Texas-Louisiana border. This one was called "The Old Beef Trail" because it was used to drive thousands of cattle from Texas to Alexandria for shipment to such cities as New Orleans as early as the 1820's and 30's.
|At the Texas state line in Burr's Ferry|
This crossing was considered strategic in 1860's, during the Civil War. Breastworks were built on the east bank and timber was cleared on west bank in an effort to guard against Federal invasions. Union troops planned to invade Texas through Burr's Crossing, but they were repulsed in a battle at Sabine Pass and no battle occurred at the site.
A post office was established here and served from 1873 - 1918, re-opened and closed again in 1922 and then was re-opened again in 1929. It shut down again in 1933 and has never re-opened. The ferry discontinued operating in 1936 when a highway bridge was constructed across the river and now there is very little left of the community except a few scattered houses.